Toll-free number: 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)
TTY number: 1-877-486-2048Where to go to apply for Medicare online or by calling
Steps towards Enrolling into Medicare
Many people are confused about the steps to take towards getting Medicare when they become medicare eligible. You are either eligible due to a disability or due to age. Depending your your circumstances will depend on when and how you get Medicare.
Most people will age into Medicare and will automatically be enrolled in both parts of Medicare. Medicare hospital benefit called Part A and the outpatient doctor benefit called Part B. You will have an effective date the first of the month of your birthday month, however, if your birthday is on the 1st of the month then you will become effective the 1st of the prior month.
If you are near Medicare eligibility due to age and have not received any information then maybe it’s time to to contact Social Security Administration but before you do first consider these things.
Things to consider before enrolling in Medicare part B outpatient coverage.
- 1. Are you or a spouse or legal partner continuing to work for a company that offers you group insurance and does the company have 20 or more employees ? If so then you may want to hold off on getting part B Medicare until you are ready to leave the company group insurance plan.
- 2. If you or a spouse or legal partner are on a group plan that has less than 20 employees then you may want to enroll in part B Medicare as soon as you are eligible.
Medicare late enrollment penalties
If you are eligible for both Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B and you refuse to enroll in Part B simply because you don’t see the need and you have no other qualifying health plan such as a group insurance plan through an employer or employer of a spouse, then you could be charged 10% more (for life) on your Part B premium than someone who first signed up when eligible. The penalty is 10% for every year you delayed. Go here to learn more about the Part B penalty.
How to enroll in Medicare
1. You may enroll into Medicare directly by going online here:
You can also apply:
- By phone - Call us at 1-800-772-1213 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call us at TTY 1-800-325-0778.
- In person - Visit your local Social Security office. (Call first to make an appointment.)
If you do not live in the U.S. or one of its territories you can also contact the nearest U.S. Social Security office, U.S. Embassy or consulate
Click the Link to Get a Quote Today!
All Rights Reserved Senior Care Insurance
This is a proprietary website. and is not, associated, endorsed or authorized by the Social Security Administration, the Department of Health and Human Services or the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. This site contains decision-support content and information about Medicare, services related to Medicare and services for people with Medicare. If you would like to find more information about the Medicare program please visit the Official U.S. Government Site for People with Medicare located at http://www.medicare.gov